A Short History of "The Practice"
1884 Dr Grimoldby came from a country practice in the south of the county to establish a practice in 50 Heneage Road, Grimsby, where he resided.
Circa 1910 Dr Rotherham came to Chantry Lane, Grimsby, as a "student assistant" to Dr. Grimoldby. He lived in one of the terraced houses opposite the present surgery in Chantry Lane.
Circa 1914 Dr Rotherham obtained permission from Dr Grimoldby to open a branch surgery at 31 Chantry Lane and to live there.
Circa 1922 Dr Grimoldby retired and Dr Fawcett came as a salaried partner. He lived and practised at the Heneage Road surgery which became the branch surgery, and Chantry Lane became the main surgery
Circa 1938 Dr Rotherham’s son joined the practice and a purpose-built surgery was provided for him at 34 Yarborough Road, Grimsby, during the war, the son was killed whilst serving in the navy. After the war, Dr Rotherham gave the money for the Rotherham library in the Grimsby & District Hospital, as a memorial to his son; the library was eventually moved to Scartho Road Infirmary which later became the Grimsby District General Hospital.Circa 1946 Dr Norman Reed was appointed as a partner to run the Yarborough Road side of the practice.
1948 The beginning of the National Health service when Dr Rotherham retired and the partnership broke up. Dr Fawcett moved to 31 Chantry Lane to run the practice single-handed, and Dr Reed continued to practice from Yarborough Road, also single-handed. The Heneage Road surgery was closed.
1950 Dr Fawcett died and Dr Jan Miedema was appointed by the Health Service to fill the vacancy. He lived on the surgery premises.
1954 The Practice became so large that Dr Miedema was instructed by the Health Service to take a partner. Dr John Hallewell was appointed as an assistant with a view to partnership after two years.
Between 1954 and 1964, a branch surgery was opened at 125 Chelmsford Avenue, Grimsby, which operated three times per week.
During the years following the introduction of the National Health Service, the number of private patients slowly diminished and dispensing was phased out.
The ancillary help consisted only of one receptionist/secretary until the late 1960’s. Since then, the number of staff employed has steadily grown. Mrs Joan Vessey joined the practice in 1956 as receptionist and retired in 1989, having become Practice Manager.
Dr Hallewell was very involved in medical politics and served on various medical committees. He was also secretary of the local medical committee for about fifteen years.
1964 Dr Miedema, who had private means, retired, taking a year off to live for a short time in Mexico and later in the Caribbean, before going into a quieter practice in Sussex. Dr Hallewell then became the principal and Dr Eric Clow was appointed as an assistant with view to partnership after six months.
The practice continued to grow.
Dr Clow’s interests were similar and he pioneered the vocational training scheme for general practitioners, and trainees were attached to the practice.
1984 Dr John Potter, who had previously been attached to the practice as a GP Trainee, was appointed as a third partner.
1989 Dr Hallewell retired and Dr Julian Clark became a third partner in Practice alongside Drs Clow & Potter. The list size had grown to over 6,000 patients. Mrs Vessey retired with Mrs June Shepherd, who had previously been a receptionist in the Practice, taking over as Practice Manager.
In 1991 there were two major developments. Firstly the Practice premises were vastly improved with modern consulting and treatment rooms being built in addition to having more acceptable waiting areas for the patients and better working conditions for the staff. The second major development was the entrance into the new GP Fundholding Scheme by the Practice. This government scheme, which gave the Practice (which was in a Consortium with Drs Smith, Collett & Warren in Littlefield Lane) more flexibility in deciding where to refer patients, what drugs to prescribe and also increased the number of staff available in the Practice, lasted until a change of government in 1997.
- Dr Salisbury joined the Practice as Dr Clow went part time. The list size continued to grow standing at 6,500.
- The practice buys the next door building and extends the surgery into it. The new extended practice now boasts 7 GP consulting rooms, 2 Nurse consulting rooms, 2 treatment rooms plus rooms for the Health Visitors and District Nurses in addition to the accommodation for the reception and administrative staff.
- Dr Potter becomes a fellow of the Royal College of GPs.
- Dr Clarson who had been working as a single-handed GP in Dudley Street merged his practice with the existing partnership bringing 3,500 patients and his staff with him. The list size now tops 10,000 patients. The practice now has 20 full or part-time staff employed.
- Dr Clow retires.
- Dr Jafri becomes the fifth partner.
- June Shepherd retires as Practice Manager and David Holmes, who has worked at the Practice as Fundholding Manager since 1991, takes over.
- The Practice wins the prestigious Charter Mark award for excellence in public service. A Patients Participation group is formed.
- The Practice wins the Investors in People award for staff support, learning & development.
- The practice is re-accredited with the Charter Mark award.
- Dr Salisbury leaves the Practice
- Dr Peter John joins as the 5th partner.
- The Practice is re-accredited with Investors in People.
- The Practice achieves a 1048.37 points out of a maximum available of 1050 points after the first year of the new GP contract.
- The Practice agrees to enter into an agreement with two other local Practices for a new build project whcih will mean the Practice moving to a new site as close to the existing premises as possible.
- After 18 months working through the assessment criteria and after the submission of 560 pages of evidence the Practice is awarded the most prestigious award available to a General Practice in the UK - The Royal College of General Practitioners' Quality Practice award (QPA).
- The Practice moves from Chantry Lane,where it had been since 1948,to a new purpose built centre in Sorrel Road (previously Central Parade).The centre also houses two other local Practices (Littlefield and Fieldhouse),the Practices' District Nursing team, Health Visitors, Adult Social Care, an NHS Dentist (Steven Dixon from Cromwell Road). The facilities are excellent and allow the Practice to plan to develop services which it was not able to in the cramped facilitiesin Chantry Lane.
- Dr Clarson retires.
- Drs Cassie Varha and Sylwia Kucharuk join the Practice as Salaried GPs.
- Dave Holmes the Practice Manager retires after a long period of service
- Mercedes Mello-Jenkins joins the practice as Business Manager
- Dr Harris retires.
- Dr Chandra leaves the practice.
- Dr Sreekala Seepana joins as our new Salaried GP.
- The practice is reacredited with Quality Practice Award
- Dr Potter retires.
- Dr Seepana leaves the practice.
- Dr Clark leaves the Practice.
- Dr Rob Davey joins the practice as a new salaried GP.
- Dr Srinivasan Ramesh joins the practice as a full time partner.
- Dr Sam Ryder joins the practice as a salaried GP.
- The practice undergoes its first Care Quality Commission inspection
- Dr Varah leaves the practice.
- Dr Kucharuk leaves the practice.
- Haroon Arshad joins the practice as a Pharmacist in practice, as part of a NHS England pilot to introduce different professionals into General Practice, as a means to address the national shortage of GPs.
Odds and Ends
Dr Rotherham, who lived on the practice premises until he retired, was a very successful G.P. and attracted the more eminent people of the town to be his patients. He employed a full-time chauffeur, a Mr. Nutt, who could not be persuaded to wear a uniform, much to the doctor’s disappointment, but he employed a lad who had to wear a livery suit when he went to deliver medicines to the patients on his bicycle which had a basket in front!!! He also had a retinue of domestic helpers including a full-time cook.
According to the chauffeur, Dr Rotherham, in his old age, made a fictitious list of visits and whilst Dr Fawcett and Dr Reed were doing the genuine visits, he would be driven to the People’s Park where he fed the ducks!!!
Dr Fawcett was probably a better doctor than Dr Rotherham but it appears that he was without drive. He was married but had no children.
Dr Miedema was born in Holland, brought up in South Africa, and was a medical student in Edinburgh. During the war, he served in a British Artillery Regiment and was awarded the Military Cross in the Italian Campaign. He lived on the surgery premises. He was married but had no children. He had a passion for horse racing, a great interest in history in which he was very knowledgeable and was a keen squash and tennis player. He and Dr Hallewell played squash together every Monday afternoon during their partnership.